Re: [Amc-list] 64 Rambler Classic question

Re: [Amc-list] 64 Rambler Classic question

<snip>
> If you're using it as a Sunday driver/cruiser, I'd keep the 232 and original transmission. If you pull the trans (not that hard!) and reinstall it should be around $800 or so to have it totally rebuilt. $1200-$1500 if they R&R.
</snip>

$800 is way low on having it rebuilt. When the motor on my 67 was redone
a few years ago, parts and machine shop labor where about $2000
(including tax). Water pumps and pistons for 1964-67 199 and 232's are
expensive (slightly more than double later years) and harder to find
(Kanter can supply both, Egge can do pistons). Also, I did not have to
replace the rockers and that can add a few hundred to the cost of a
rebuild. Better than half the cost was in labor (which varies depending
on where you live) but good machine work isn't cheap. From what I
recall, the parts cost was about the same as if I bought the parts
myself. The reassembly charge was $300 but also got me a few month
warranty on the work (I think it was 6 months/6,000 miles) and allowed
me time to do a bunch of other things on the car so I thought that was
well worth it.

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx