Re: [Amc-list] 64 Rambler Classic question

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stu pointed out the biggest problem with the 63-66 Classic/Ambo -- the
> torque tube. You need a trans made for it, adapt a trans to fit it (which
> can be expensive),

One possible solution, if you're handy with metal, would be a saddle that
attaches to the rear crossmember and supports the torque tube end. That
would put the splined shaft in a decent place to accept a yoke. The splined
shaft is common enough and there should be findable yokes to fit "normal"
transmissions. A flat horizontal plate with a hole in it, with a sheet of
neoprene for a dust seal is all that the working end needs.

Since the trans locates it now mocking up wouldn't be hard.

Other than sheer weight, there's no reason to pull the thing. They're very
reliable, the suspension is reliable and comfortable. If it ain't broke...