Re: [Amc-list] Happy New year! (63 440H odd rear seat -- not!!)

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I thought you might be "unintentionally" exagerating, but knowing about
> the 440H arm rests I wanted to make sure. Saw the photos, it's
> definitely the stock sedan seat. IIRC there was a cardboard piece (door
> panel material) behind the seat stuck to the body originally, may have
> just been a piece of water dam paper (craft paper with a black "tar"
> coating on one side, usually used behind door panels).

It's of course possible that there was one; there's no sticky residue, but
likely it was cardboard-ish and hung on the mounting bolts. No evidence of
it, so some PO removed it.

The gap is pretty large, 1.5" or more. Odd.

> there were two hardtops, the 440 (like yours) and the 440H. $2136 for
> yours, $2281 for the H. $145 got you those rear arm rests and the 2V
> "Power Pak" stock. On the 440 it was an option. Most of the hardtops
> I've seen have been the "H" model, probably because most dealers ordered
> the top of the line car dressed up, and more of the "dolled up" ones
> probably survive, as is usually the case. "The Standard Catalog of AM"
> says 9,749 of the H was built, 5,101 440s (both hardtops, of course) --
> just under twice the number of H models compared to 440. So numbers help
> too.

Ahh, that explains it then. It appears that this car was special-ordered
then, as it's such an odd combination of features. I would think a top of
the line 440H would probably one or more of the following: radio, power
steering, power brakes, A/C, whatever package the rear arm rests came in,
etc. But this one had radio delete, manual everything; yet twin stick and 2
barrel carb("powerpak").

If two bbl and fancy rear seat was $145, then 2bbl alone must have been
less? So it was ordered by someone with Rambler mentality... :-)

It's an odd thing to order in 1963, the fastest model of one of the slowest
cars made in America... !