Re: [Amc-list] 1949-50 Nash steering column removal - single bolt & brac

Re: [Amc-list] 1949-50 Nash steering column removal - single bolt & bracket only?

-- Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> accessibility. I was wondering how hard it is to
> unbolt the column from the steering box? Both columns
> are almost loose, and the single bolt I see holding a
> weiner-shaped bracket at the steering boxes looks easy

(Weiner shaped bracket :-)

Going out on a limb here -- I have not removed one, hell, even seen one.
But it's likely the same as (eg. the root document for) early 60's
Ramblers. Once you get the steering wheel off, the column tubes slide off,
internal or external shift rod.

Frank knows about this, I think recently posted about it, the oddball
concentric shaft puller needed to yank the early wheels. If I recall you
could cobble one up from a piece of "pipe" with threads to grip the wheel
socket; then weld a nut to the top to run threaded rod o push against the
steering shaft.

Those pods have got to be worth saving!