Re: [Amc-list] Any tricks in removing the drums?

Re: [Amc-list] Any tricks in removing the drums?

Bruce,

If you're sure that all three cap screws are out, I would try heat next.
You'll want to heat the area between the wheel studs to a dull red but
don't heat the studs. While things are hot, beat on the drum like you
were before (don't be afraid to use some force) and it should pop loose.
It may not pop loose the first go round so be patient (I had to do this
to remove rear rotors from a Grand Cherokee, it took about an hour on
each side to get the rotors off). If you hear ugly noises while it's
heating, that's okay. The noise is just rusty metal moving around. I'm
not sure how well propane works but MAPP gas does get hot enough (I have
a gas welding set so I had plenty of heat to work with). Also, if you
have a big enough gear puller, you can put that on the drum and tighten
it down before applying heat. If you go that route, put a lug nut on a
few threads so the drum doesn't fall off and hit the floor when it comes
loose. If heat doesn't work, I would go ahead and chisel them off.

The fronts should be less difficult to get off. All you have to do for
the fronts is take the wheel bearings a part. The front drums are held
onto the hubs by the wheel studs.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Okay - I put a piece of wood behind the drum (checking to make sure I
> was on the drum, and not on the backing stuff) - tapped, tapped,
> tapped, smacked it a couple times. Not budging. I'll try again. Or
> move on to another drum, after all - they're 4 of 'em! The left rear
> isn't moving for love nor money nor hammer and wood.
>
>> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:24:52 -0800 (PST)
>> From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> DO NOT REMOVE THE BIG NUT.  The drum is held onto the
>> hub by three litte cap screws which go through the
>> drum into the hub face.  Actually it is held on by the
>> wheel and lug nuts as well as an interference fit with
>> the perimeter of the hub.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com