-------
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:17:30 -0800 (PST)
From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The subject is a 65 Rambler with an OHV engine with
low mileage since rebuild.  The car sat inside but got
water in the engine due to a leaking roof in the
building in which it was stored.

I noticed that the oil pan had been damaged and there
were two spots which had been brazed.  This is the
second 196 oil pan which I have seen with dents and
damage and I have seldom seen other AMC pans damaged
in this way.  I'm wondering if it is a fluke or did
these motors have a tendancy to cast off rotating
parts.  Can't tell if the damage at the brazed spots
was internal or external.

The bearings all look good except for the rear main
which shows inordinate wear for a low mileage engine.
The crank joural at that main bearing is also somewhat
scratched.

I think I could reuse the
head though without any work on it, but I'll let the
machine shop look it over.

I removed all but two pistons last night.  The two
remaining are in the cylinders that got rusty. The
honing marks are still visible on the cylinders and
there was no ridge near the top so I didn't have to
use a ridge reamer (which I don't even own).

I'm hoping that the block can be honed (only) and
reused.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"