-----------------------
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:58:41 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

If rockauto's photos are correct, they have most of the pump
variants available (Cardone rebuilds only though).

I detect five water pump variants:

* Cast iron, straight neck (see below), short shaft (Cardone #58270)
* Cast iron, straight neck (see below), long shaft (Cardone #58269)
* Cast iron, bent neck (Cardone #58268)
* Aluminum, for the aluminum motor (Cardone #58272)
* Cast iron, for the aluminum motor (Cardone #58278)

Maybe the bent-neck one is the L-head? Dunno. The bent neck is
real obvious.

The SHORT SHAFT motor I think is for the Nash-based Americans
(it's specified for the 63 01), and the LONG-SHAFT for 64-up AMC
American. Probably the pulley flange could be pressed further
down the shaft on a press, to use a newer (64-up) pump in the
older motor, but I ain't doing that.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"