[Amc-list] 195.6 OHV Progress

Those of you who don't want to mess with an old
technology AMC motor can tune out skip this thread.
I'll start this thread and hope to continue it,
posting progress on my 195.6 OHV resurrection project.

The subject is a 65 Rambler with an OHV engine with
low mileage since rebuild.  The car sat inside but got
water in the engine due to a leaking roof in the
building in which it was stored.

The engine had been removed from the car when I bought
the package. I had begun disaseembly of the engine a
couple of weeks ago.  I continued last night.

I noticed that the oil pan had been damaged and there
were two spots which had been brazed.  This is the
second 196 oil pan which I have seen with dents and
damage and I have seldom seen other AMC pans damaged
in this way.  I'm wondering if it is a fluke or did
these motors have a tendancy to cast off rotating
parts.  Can't tell if the damage at the brazed spots
was internal or external.

The bearings all look good except for the rear main
which shows inordinate wear for a low mileage engine.
The crank joural at that main bearing is also somewhat
scratched.  The pistons appear to be like new and I
plan to reuse them.  There is very little carbon on
the valves, but the perimeter margins on some of the
valves are very thin, which means the engine probably
had a low cost overhaul.  I think I could reuse the
head though without any work on it, but I'll let the
machine shop look it over.

I removed all but two pistons last night.  The two
remaining are in the cylinders that got rusty. The
honing marks are still visible on the cylinders and
there was no ridge near the top so I didn't have to
use a ridge reamer (which I don't even own).

I have tried to gently remove the rust on the two
remaining bores by careful scratching, but I may use a
mildly abrasive pad today, then try to drive them out.
 I'm hoping that the block can be honed (only) and
reused.

I'll post some pics on my photobucket site later.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA