Re: [Amc-list] bonneville salt flat rambler???

Re: [Amc-list] bonneville salt flat rambler???

Dave, I think it's totally nuts, and that you shoudl go for it!

-- JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There has been a 50s rambler at Bonneville for the
> last few years.  It's powered by a Ford flathead V8.
> Unless you just want to play around and get bragging
> rights as the fastest AMC/Nash powered car, you'll
> probably have to use something other than an AMC/Nash
> power plant to get any kind of a class record.

One of Navarro's engines was out there, I don't know if it was
the 550hp or 750hp version. It was someone unbelievably famous
(Breedlove or someone). I have no idea to w3hat end or in what
car, etc.

But what's wrong with 'fastest rambler-powered' as a goal? It's
hard to believe that NO ONE has run rambler-powered out there.

Joe, is there a year by year history or listing of who ran
what? It seems like there's the SCTA book, some casual accounts,
magazine stories, and not much else. There's photo books but
those all seem to be personal accounts rather than rigorous
histories.

> recommend you buy the current SCTA rulebook and check
> out the classes and the records in those classes.  The
> competition is pretty tough.  They have been racing
> for many years at Bonneville and there are dozens of
> car builders who really know what they are doing.

That last is the real point! There's people been out there 10,
20, 30, 40 years and are very finely tuned. Not that upstarts
can't have new ideas! But you gotta have some solid basics.

To my utterly inexperienced eyes, at over 125mph it's all
chassis, chassis, chassis. Horsepower is obvious. So's wierd
chassis oscillations, when you experience them at fatal speeds.