[Amc-list] busy, driving!

Man have I been busy! Now I've got two papers to write in
the next week, and I agreed to teach three workshops in two
weeks. Lucky for me no car grief!

I've been driving the little American, on it's old semi-unknown
motor, some 3000 miles now. That motor seems perfect! Joe I
really lucked out, the bottom end seems pretty much fine. The
oil pan seeps, as does the rear seal, and there's a super-fine
mist that is from the valve cover area (that would be my work)
but in the 1500 miles since the last oil change, it's down
maybe half a pint. Perfect.

I'm using that "high mileage car" oil, 10W30, not synthetic. I
forget the brand. I read too may credible stories of synth
loosening gunk in old motors.

Flap the gas pedal to set the choke, starts perfectly when
cold. Hot, starts perfectly. Faint flat spot in carb still when
hot just switchin from idle to low-range jet. Too lazy to tune
it out.

First car I've had in decades where driving style REALLY MATTERS
for mileage. The 70 hornet (258, torqueflite) pretty much it gets
19 mpg. The 63 Classic wagon (232, BW auto) same thing. This
American (195.6ohv, twin stick) gets 23mpg if I accellerate
super-light, coast and plan (annoying all around me -- screw
'em) or 18mpg if I hot rod around. (That's city+highway combined.)

With one person in the car, it's more than quick
enough! Subjectively, "about" as fast as a 232 Hornet with
auto trans, except of course with a lot more thought and
gear-stirring.

But I had four people in the car, and getting up to 65mph was
work! I kept it at 60mph.

It would be interesting to see what you could do with a radically
lightened early American. A nice vintage-rally/sports car would
be a fun project!