Re: [Amc-list] Proportioning Valve

Keith,

I can't tell you why your 70 Javelin doesn't stop as well as your 68 AMX,
without knowing the differences.
I can only tell you that my 70 Javelin stops fantastically compared to the
drum set up.
I don't recall my pedal being soft at all, however my new master cylinder
may have a lot to do
with that. If the master is weak then the whole system is "soft".

The push for a bit to grab may be
that the calipers are sticking or move slower, maybe your power booster unit
is weak. I have a fresh
rebuilt booster installed. I know I used to have difficulties with the old
booster and the drums doing
weird stuff like that. Always feeling soft and weak. If you have a stock or
near stock cam, I'd be
surprised if the vacuum is the culprit. If you have a rumpity rumpity cam
that could contribute.
The prop valve I bought was affordable, the factory used one on the 70
Javelin & AMX. Must be a reason............
The later models had a prop valve and brake failure alarm mechanism on the
firewall. I have the one from the Hornet,
but I didn't want to plumb in the extra line involved.
If the master cylinder doesn't balance the system on it's own, then it needs
the assistance of the prop valve.
Here's another one for you, are you still using the drum master cylinder? If
so it won't operate
the disc brake  the same way it does the drum brakes, so that could be the
problem.

Brien or Bruce or anyone, can you add to this??

Armand