Re: [Amc-list] Proportioning Valve

Feltonik (real name?),

Welcome to the list. I hope your experiences here will be as great as mine.

I have personal experience with this on my 70 Javelin. I converted it to
front disc brakes from drums all around.
In 1970 model AMX and Javelins the factory installed a proportioning valve
on the inside of the passenger
frame rail in front of the rear axle for disc brake equipped cars. The
proportioning valve is not installed on the all
drum setups. Since my car did not have the regulator I simply purchased one
from Summit
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM2DG3905&N=700+4294922533+4294918719+115&autoview=sku

As I was replacing all the nasty looking brake lines I installed the valve
in the factory location by fabricating a simple
bracket. I then bleed the system, bedded in the new pads, etcetera, and
adjusted the valve until things were satisfactory.

May I also mention that my disc brakes came from a 75 Hornet. I purchased a
new master cylinder from NAPA for the
Hornet and installed it in my Javelin. The drum master cylinder from your 70
AMX may not be adequate to operate the
disc brakes.

Armand