Re: [Amc-list] machine shop rebuild recommendations

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:27:11 -0500
From: "Greg DePratt" <gdepratt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] machine shop rebuild recommendations
To: Amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am forwarding this on for my brother who is rebuilding the 343 in my
Javelin.  I think we want to do a mild cam upgrade during the rebuild. but
we are unsure of any specific instructions we should give the machine shop
on the heads and crank.

Here is his question that he asked me to pass on to the list....I am hoping
you all can help with this.

Thanks!
Greg DePratt

What I need you to ask the amc people is if anything different needs to be
done to the heads depending on what cam we put in. Also anything special to
do with the crank, or anything they recommend to tell the machine shop?

  http://www.pawinc.com/AMC_Parts.html

  Kit D at bottom of page is 645 or about 60-70 more for a mild cam plus
lifters. For 645 it's a stock cam and he said it includes lifters. He was
kind of confusing. Take a look at this website and see what you think.
Jon DePratt
DePratt Equipment Sales, Inc.
www.deprattequipment.com
Ph: 620-429-2602

OK 1) Tell them you will only accept US made cam lifters. A bunch of
cheap substandard lifters have been coming from China and they have
not been working.
2) Almost all new engines are Over head Cam or roller lifters, most
of the zinc and moly a hydraulic lifter cam needs has been taken out.
Use a good break in lube for the cam and get an oil additive with
plenty of zinc and moly in it.
3) My standard cam recommendation for a mild street engine is the
Edelbrock Performer number 2132 , which is on there list of cams.
The reason is it's split duration and lift , at 278 degrees , .448
lift intake versus 288 degrees , .472 exhaust. AMCs seem to like more
duration and lift on the exhaust. Stock cam is listed as a 266
duration with .425 lift at old style specs. Comp cams are  all well
liked too by AMCers. Edelbrock has tested this cam to develop it ,
instead of just using a Chevy or Ford cam specs and putting on an AMC
cam blank.
4) On the crank a tear drop shaped relive counter rotational to the
crank is recommended, but is an option.
5)another  highly recommended option, convert the semi open AMC head
to full open chambers head. I can post or email the specs to you
or any one else who wants it from the old Performance American style
manual . Trade off is some where around a .5 point drop in
compression ratio. This depends on what compression ratio and heads
you intend to run, stock square port or dogleg. thanks, LRDaum mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx