Re: [Amc-list] machine shop rebuild recommendations

Re: [Amc-list] machine shop rebuild recommendations

" From: "Greg DePratt" <gdepratt@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am forwarding this on for my brother who is rebuilding the 343 in my
" Javelin.  I think we want to do a mild cam upgrade during the rebuild. but
" we are unsure of any specific instructions we should give the machine shop
" on the heads and crank.
"
" []
"
" From: "Larry R. Daum" <mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" OK 1) Tell them you will only accept US made cam lifters. A bunch of
" cheap substandard lifters have been coming from China and they have
" not been working.

my personal opinion - i'd avoid pretty much everything chinese-made.
their recent incidents with food and toy poisoning seems to show
pretty clearly to me that they're not too concerned about how they get
our money.  i suspect the minister was executed over the
wheat-plasticizer incident more because he publically embarrassed the
chinese govt than because he poisoned american pets and people.

" 2) Almost all new engines are Over head Cam or roller lifters, most
" of the zinc and moly a hydraulic lifter cam needs has been taken out.
" Use a good break in lube for the cam and get an oil additive with
" plenty of zinc and moly in it.

ac delco [formerly gm] 'eos' [engine oil supplement] is the best.  as
a gm p/n it was available only at dealer parts depts.  it's moving to
delco just now, so where else it'll be sold is still guesswork.

stp 4-cyl treatment in the -red- bottle also has zddp and little else,
unlike their other products.

you can still find oils that have high zinc; check the api rating
symbol.  they must be rated 'si' or 'ci' or earlier.  most oil today
is 'sm'.  both mobil1 and castrol have oils - coincidentally named
'4t' - with sg ratings.

" 3) My standard cam recommendation for a mild street engine is the
" Edelbrock Performer number 2132 , which is on there list of cams.
" The reason is it's split duration and lift , at 278 degrees , .448
" lift intake versus 288 degrees , .472 exhaust. AMCs seem to like more
" duration and lift on the exhaust.

this generally indicates that the exhaust ports are smaller than they
'should' be.  many heads are done this way, on purpose.  i guess part
throttle port velocity is more important for most uses.