[Amc-list] Good news--maybe. - XJ 2wd 'RePower -

From: "Clarence Milstead" <cmilstead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Good news--maybe.

I've written about my 1971 turbo Gremlin several times and asked if there
was a good replacement for the BW aluminum transmission. Most people say
"no" and one mentioned a TH400 from an ancient Postal Jeep. While
corresponding with a friend of mine he mentioned NOVAK Conversions, he said
he had a Jeep years ago and talked to them about an adapter to install a
Chevy V-8 (BOO). Anyhow I Googled NOVAK and sent them an e-mail, they
responded and said they thought they could help me and several people had
used their kits on "early" AMC six engines. They adapt to GM Hydramatic
transmissions only, they say they are the best ones to use. The main use of
their adapters is in Jeeps.

Here's my question, if we can work something out
which is the best transmission to use?

To me it looks like the TH700R4 which
would give me the overdrive I want.

Also I think all Hydramatics are liquid
cooled and I don't have that kind of radiator, can I use a transmission
cooler or must I bite the bullet and change radiators? I know I'll have to
move/change the cross member but will that be a problem?

Any comments or
guidance will be appreciated. Has anyone ever used one of these adapters?

<>

Listen to me,

By the Time you're finished buying / having an Adapter made, buying the 700R or 200R
Trans. & Convector - and more - you could have purchased a 2WD XJ Cherokee
as a Donor and have an up to date Inline AMC 4.0 EFi and a Factory 4spd.
Automatic trans. - probably for under $1k for the Donor Vehicle - complete.

Strip out what you need and sell the rest as parts on www.naxja.org and recoup your monies.

The 700R4 is a big trans - that takes big power to spin - like the A-727 TorqueCommand.

The Studebaker guys use these behind their V8s and comment on how much HP/TQ it takes
to run them.

Unless you're running BOOST all the time - just walk away from 700R4s as they are
'Boat_Anchors'.

The GN Turbo Buick guys avoid 700R4 transmissions - they use the 200R4 that have been
strengthened - if you're interested - a healthy 200R4 will set you back $1,500.00 plus
a core trade in - not including convertor - controls etc.

If you've a good competent Automotive Machine Shop - look for a 'Race Shop' that does
alot of Speed builds - you can hang any transmission you want on your Inliner.

They can take the bell housing of your current trans. - the bell housing of the one
you want - and craft up a spacer for the  convertor as needed.

Since you have the early AMC inline bolt pattern - you're one rung further down
on the ladder of 'easy'.

Clarence, here's what I think you should do_and why:

It's time to 'Re power' your Gremlin - enable a great running
Grem that you can Trust to take on Vacations and still have 'Spirited' performance
with or without your Turbo Kit.

You want to stay within the 'AMC Kamp' - rather than 'defecting' - so -
'Good News'.

This isn't a difficult task - and - the parts are available - and - support is
Top Notch from the boys over on www.strokers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx as they know all
about the 'swap'.

Purchase an 1988 or '89 or 1996 or Newer JEEP Cherokee XJ complete.

Purchase a 2WD JEEP Cherokee 4spd. Aisin Automatic Transmission -
get this off www.naxja.org or www.car-parts.com or craigslist.com

You can also find '88 or '89 or '96up  2WD Cherokees - do a Google Search such as:

JEEP 2WD XJ\craigslist

also set up a search on eBay motors for 2WD JEEP XJ cherokee.

If you want - you can buy the engine / trans seperatly:

www.car-parts.com has piles of these engines and transmissions so
'dicker' once you find a 2WD version - get the harness complete -
not cut at the firewall - the ECM - TCM - trans mount cross member.

If it's an '88 or '89 get the ECM and TCM as they have separate units.

You'll have a  Modern AMC EFi engine with a Modern 4 speed automatic that
won't need spacers etc. - just drop the combo in - sort out the main
harness to what you need - Walbro fuel pump & your good to GRIN for the next
50 years.

This is the easiest - cheapest - biggest bang for the buck - best possible
upgrade available for that Gremlin or any Grem / Hornet .

The combo is a relatively light weight package - and you'll be way Happier
with pre Turbo - 180HP stock with a Factory 4spd automatic trans. from AMC.

The car will handle much better with the weight reduction - and be worth
more should you sell since it will be 'Modern' and easily serviced at any
JEEP Dealership Nationwide.

I recall you asking this same question a few years ago?

The Answer will never change.

Get 'Jiggy' Clarence.

--

 =Bt=