[Amc-list] Eagle backup lights

Subject:  83 Eagle with auto and 88 J10 with auto

Condition:  The tranny switch was leaking on the wagon and I installed a
new one.  Now the backup lights won't work.  If I jumper the connections
they work so I know it is in the switch.  Same thing happened on my J10
and I would love to get that fixed too.  If I take the switch out and
push in the plunger it works fine.  Neutral start function works.  Any
ideas?  What else do I need to do?  The car will not pass inspection
without the backup lights and I refuse to wire in a separate switch.
Besides it won't pass inspection with a manual switch for the backup
lights.

What is the collective wisdom?