Re: [Amc-list] road trip

-- d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> well, i made it down to houston. was kind of an
> interesting trip. first the lower radiator hose was
> rubbing on the gen fan. so it got a little tiny hole
> that would spray when pressurized. duct tape fixed
> that. then my wife decided to break the key off in the
> door at a fuel stop. was able to jimmy the trunk key
> around enough to get it to work in the ignition. then
> about 6 miles from my destination, the speedo cable
> broke. will see if i can find parts that will work.

If you're working this layer of petty demons, you are crawling up out of
old car Hell :-) Congratulations!

I'm still a few layers below. I discovered I have a transmission that
changes it's own oil. Well, half of that, it empties itself. I knew 10W-30
was a bad choice. Clutch slips.

But the moon discs look great! Photos later. But you gotta suffer for
fashion; you have to peel off delicate aluminum skins to check air pressure!

I think the generic speedo kits are long enough for nearly all apps.

"Lock fluid" (graphite in kerosene, good hardware stores carry it) will
work in the locks (but won't glue broken key pieces :-)

JB Weld 5-minute will seal that leaky hose far more trustworthy. Pop the
cap to depressurize, with the motor still warm, mix epoxy quick, and press
into the hole with your finger until it kicks and seals the hole. Then mix
up another small amount and spread over the top more normally. Should last
a long time!