Re: [Amc-list] California Smog Bill

--- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

there's a case - in az iirc -
> where a power co
> lobbied heavily for a scrapping law, so they could
> buy up the
> pollution credits [based on estimates, not actual
> measurements] and
> not have to clean up their stacks.

I personally have no quarrel with the pollution
credits granted to industry for scrapping old
cars.....as long as it's someone ELSE's old cars. At
least the law has been modified here in CA (in the LA
Basin at least) to allow buy backs of old cars before
they go to the crusher, and the junkyards are no
allowed to sell parts off of the car after they hit
the yards.  They just cannot sell the whole car once
it is finally accepted for scrap.

> seems to me the ca epa themselves has admitted that
> all older cars
> combined pollute less than the newer cars which are
> badly maintained,
> and the national epa has stated that keeping a car
> maintained and on
> the road regardless of age is less polluting than
> scrapping and
> replacing it with a new car, no matter how clean.

Yeah, but it's hard to install a DVD player in your
old car to entertain the kids and that GPS navigation
is sure nice.  Without that, we might actually have to
ASK directions or read a map.   What would you do with
your IPOD?  Oh, the dilemna.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA