Re: [Amc-list] California Smog Bill

" From: Nolanatcamelot@xxxxxxx
"
" Of additional concern to the enthusiast community were provisions in the
" bill that would have required that funds generated through the additional
" inspection fees be deposited into an account which could be used to scrap older
" cars. "We are especially indebted to those legislators who opposed the bill
" because it would have placed an undue burden upon car owners simply because
" their vehicle is older than an arbitrary date set in law," McDonald added.

here's something i'll bet was well hidden: the eis for the car
scrappage process.  there's a case - in az iirc - where a power co
lobbied heavily for a scrapping law, so they could buy up the
pollution credits [based on estimates, not actual measurements] and
not have to clean up their stacks.  soon as it passed - oh, we need a
landfill permit.  seems only half of a scrapped car can be recycled...

then there's the pollution from the new car manufacturing process.
i've heard that making a car generates as much pollution as it will
emit in its entire lifetime on the road.

seems to me the ca epa themselves has admitted that all older cars
combined pollute less than the newer cars which are badly maintained,
and the national epa has stated that keeping a car maintained and on
the road regardless of age is less polluting than scrapping and
replacing it with a new car, no matter how clean.