Re: [Amc-list] T lube, more

More stuff, nothing official, just what guys have used and are using...
from FFCOBRA.com

Oil Related Issues:

[Rod] Question: "I believe I saw a message warning AGAINST the use of synthetic oil in the T5 but can no longer find it. It may have been on Mike Mack's list or ???"

Answers:

[MM] "I've been using magic purple synthetic ATF in my T5. No problems yet, but only about 1100 miles.(most of them with the input shaft turning 6249 rpm)"

[AC] "I've been using Redline synthetic MTL in my T-5's for a long time with no problems Rod.

If you read the text on the Redline MTL bottle again you notice it states "Most gear oils, ATFs, and motor oils are too slippery for proper synchro engagement- which causes gear clash when shifting" and "MTL meets gear oil viscosities SAE 75W, and 80W, or motor oil viscosities SAE 30 or 10W30, the viscosity requirements of Dextron and Mercon ATF, and provides gear protection which satisfies API categories GL-1, GL-3 and GL-4." That's what my bottles have printed on them. According to the MTL fluid spec sheets, D4 ATF is also a Redline fluid which Redline specifies for low temperature operation in Dextron amd Mercon applications. Redline recommends MTL in high performance apps and racing for Dextron/Mercon replacement. Redline phone techs also highly and specifically recommend MTL for BorgWarner/Tremec T-5s."

[MC] "somewhere, someplace, I heard the same thing. I think it had something to do with part of the syncros needing more friction to work better? I don't know much about how syncros work or if its even plausible.
"

[S49] "I've been using synthetics in my t-5 for a couple thousand miles now and love it, the regular atf would let the tranny heat up real bad during road racing conditions causing me to miss gears and ultimately bending valves so you have to look at the big picture here, how are you going to drive this puppy."

[1352] "My 88 stock 5.0 with 310,000 miles has been treated to mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the T5 every 50,000 miles since the car was new! Transmission seal and bushing were changed at 180,000 miles. Same thing with power steering fluid..Also have oem pump!"

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5