Re: [Amc-list] "A Pacer in Your Future"

"
" From: "Larry R. Daum" <mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: "Larry R. Daum" <mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
" "
" " I've actually given serious thought to getting
" " a Pacer and putting a Hi-Po Mazda Rotary engine in one. It would be
" " interesting just to get a good idea of what the original production
" " concept of Pacer would have been. LRDaum mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" makes me think [dangerous!]...  you might want the 20c from a toyota
" crown instead of the rx7's 13b, 3 rotors vs. 2.  or - given the
" pacer's weight - these are very modular engines; someone in the
" aftermarket has the bits to stack 4 rotors and make a '26d'.  set it
" up for a broad powerband; the hp would come.
" ________________________________________________________________________
" Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
"
" Toyota had a rotary engine?

d'oh!!!  i was thinking mazda but toyota came out...  there's a big
-mazda- sedan, like the crown, which has/had a 3-rotor motor.  we've
only seen the 2-rotors here, mostly in the rx7.

" News to me. But generally the same lines
" of thought I had.  Problem is you need a core to get a rebuilt Mazda
" Rotary. There was one in a local junk yard. The main point on the Pacer
" would be to get the horsepower up and loose a good 400 to 600 pounds
" and get the weight down. LRD

that follows my idea of digging up the aftermarket fellow that has the
bits to stack 4 mazda rotors and housings into a single engine.

now i'm reflecting more on it, i think i've even heard of 6-rotor
mazda based engines.  of course, i can't place the source now...  but
that would easily be good for 401-like power.  and smoooth...

the 2-rotors only have end bearings on the main shaft.  iirc the
3-rotor 20c has a plate with a bearing between 2 of the rotors.  i've
always assumed the 4-rotor hack used this 'center bearing' and the
6-rotor two of them.

" As a side note: Curtis-Wright had the licensing rights for North
" America off NSU, a predecessor to Audi and the Wankel Rotary engine
" was originally design as an aircraft engine by Dr. Wankel during World
" War II for the Germans. Thus the interest of an aircraft engine builder
" in the Wankel. The concept of using the Wankel Rotary as an Automobile
" or Motorcycle power plant came latter and was actually more successful
" then the  aircraft engine designs.  LRDaum

audi is short for 'auto union'; nsu is one of the brands united into
audi.  there were 4 in all, the origin of the 4-ring audi symbol.