[Amc-list] "A Pacer in Your Future"

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] "A Pacer in Your Future"
To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Larry R. Daum" <mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I've actually given serious thought to getting
" a Pacer and putting a Hi-Po Mazda Rotary engine in one. It would be
" interesting just to get a good idea of what the original production
" concept of Pacer would have been. LRDaum mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx

makes me think [dangerous!]...  you might want the 20c from a toyota
crown instead of the rx7's 13b, 3 rotors vs. 2.  or - given the
pacer's weight - these are very modular engines; someone in the
aftermarket has the bits to stack 4 rotors and make a '26d'.  set it
up for a broad powerband; the hp would come.

Toyota had a rotary engine? News to me. But generally the same lines
of thought I had.
Problem is you need a core to get a rebuilt Mazda Rotary. There was
one in a local
junk yard. The main point on the Pacer would be to get the horsepower
up and loose
a good 400 to 600 pounds and get the weight down. LRD

As a side note: Curtis-Wright had the licensing rights for North
America off NSU,
a predecessor to Audi and the Wankel Rotary engine was originally design as an
aircraft engine by Dr. Wankel during World War II for the Germans.
Thus the interest
of an aircraft engine builder in the Wankel. The concept of using the
Wankel Rotary as
an Automobile or Motorcycle power plant came latter and was actually
more successful
then the  aircraft engine designs.  LRDaum