Re: [Amc-list] Tire Balance

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark is correct -- stack the weights initially in one location to balance
> the bubble. Then split the weight into four groups and put them at the 4
> and 8 o'clock positions, adding or subtracting weight to balance the
> bubble again (may have to add a slight amount to each). There is no
> weight at the 12 or 6 o'clock positions, just 4 and 8.

OK, I get it now. I'll restate for more clarity (I hope :-)

You're standing with the wheel on the bubble machine in front of you. "6
o'clock" is the spot of the wheel closest to your crotch. 12 o'clock is
furthest away.

Say, 2 oz. of weights balances the wheel statically. Rotate the wheel so
that the added weight is sitting on the tire/wheel at 6 o'clock.

Turn the 2 oz. of weight into four 1/2 oz. pieces, still at 6 o'clock.

Move two of them to 4 o'clock, two of them to 8 o'clock. Since the weight
is still centered over 6 o'clock, the wheel remains balanced. (But your
single 2 oz. heavy spot is now two less-heavy spots.)

Affix one 1/2 oz. piece at 4 0'clock on the front of the wheel, one on
back; another at 8 o'clock on front, and another 8 o'clock on back. (Now
you have four much smaller masses spread out on the wheel, yet maintains
balance.)

That spreads the balance weight out evenly as possible through the mass of
the tire and avoids single heavy spots.

It doesn't really fix inherent dynamic balance errors (eg. a heavy lump in
a tire or wheel on front or back) but it DOES prevent CREATING one!