Re: [Amc-list] "A Pacer in Your Future"

On 21.09.2007, at 04:18, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> audi is short for 'auto union'; nsu is one of the brands united into
> audi.  there were 4 in all, the origin of the 4-ring audi symbol.

Audi is Latin for "Listen!". It's the second company a guy whose last
name was "Horch" (German for "Listen!") founded after he lost control
over the company bearing his name. Auto Union was the federation of
four car manufacturers: Horch, Audi, DKW, and Wanderer. After the
war, they sold cars first under the "DKW" moniker, but this name was
associated with two-stroke engines which by the mid sixties went out
of fashion completely.

Daimler-Benz took over ailing Auto Union, planted a new 4-stroke
engine into their last product, which was then sold as the first post-
war Audi. Shortly after, Daimler sold the company to Volkswagen. NSU
was still an independent at that time, until the Ro80 flopped.

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Mederle
Munich, Bavaria (Germany)