Re: [Amc-list] Early 60s Ramblers tires and wheels, front suspension

Re: [Amc-list] Early 60s Ramblers tires and wheels, front suspension

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
" I've got used V-8 springs on the front of my American with 3/8" thick 1 5/8" drop plates and radial tuned gas shocks from IIRC was called Gabriels Classic series shock line, now discountinued. Tires are 205/60/15" on repop multipattern early chevy rally wheels in 15x7". No sway bar. It aslo has Prothane urethane bushings in it
"    Ride, hmmm it actualy rides very, very close to the same as the 98 Altima GXE we own! The only discernable difference is noise. Hard hits from pot holes or ridges and such in the road produce a noticeable thump or even a bang from time to time. I don't get the feel of the thump in the car! Just the noise!
"     Handling is better then the Altima, maybe I'm prejudiced but I like it a lot. It's tight and it grips. I chicken out before the 205 and 255/60's lose their bite! Steering box is from a 73 Hornet P/S pressured by a Wrangler pump with the lower pressure the Wrangler assist uses. I alwasy wanted the 12-1 box, but this is as good a box as I need! A faster box would likely only get me in to trouble easier.
"    What I want to see happen in the suspension is to fine tune the alignment and drop the rear leaves out and rebush them as they are originals. Leaves have double main leaves and second leaves. I did them before I had net access and I could not find new springs.

i've got factory hd springs [with probably one broken leaf right now]
and kyb gas-a-justs and 205/70r14s on 6" rims on my american, along
with 16:1 -manual- steering from an amx.  i don't consider myself
particularly strong [6'3"/185lbs] but i can one-hand it at just about
any road speed.  perhaps i'm just the right size to have good leverage
on the wheel...  it's a delight that few corners call for more than
1/4 turn of the wheel, meaning i don't have to move my hand[s].
i don't recall what the alignment specs are right now, but i've had +1
deg. with good results.  i have polyurethane bushings on the strut
rods only.

i don't know if it's me or the car, but there's a couple of corners i
take regularly that i can do a lot faster and crisper than most folks
that hog my bumper.  i can tell how cheesed off they are by how fast
they race to tailgate me again.

did i mention i try to not use my brakes?  that's got to cheese them
off too, when they find out i'm going to take the corner faster than
they're prepared to, and experience the 'oh ****' moment...  i haven't
seen anyone actually go off the road but i've seen more than a few
seriously cut corners behind me.

btw the rest of my drivetrain is a stock 199 with hei ign backed by a
t14 and stock 3.08 axle.  i need to recurve the dist but haven't
gotten around to it yet.