Re: [Amc-list] Early 60s Ramblers tires and wheels, front suspension

What I think is sort of funny is watching people trying to keep up with my lifted '87 Comanche. It's only 2wd yet, but 3.73 gears, 33" tires and a high miler 4.0L that still boogies through the curves (it's almost like it accelerates on it's own into them and only once came up short on a corner that had gravel when I had wider tires on) The cloverleaf offramp from I-405 S onto I-520 E (the way many take to Microsoft in Redmond) has a 20 mph speed posted but I regularly can more than double that if traffic is light and good weather (I'm about to do that now on my way to work). More than once I've seen high $$$ rigs skid and hit the guardrail in front or behind me, sometimes at less than 20.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Early 60s Ramblers tires and wheels,
front
	suspension

i've got factory hd springs [with probably one broken leaf right
now]
and kyb gas-a-justs and 205/70r14s on 6" rims on my american,
along
with 16:1 -manual- steering from an amx.  i don't consider
myself
particularly strong [6'3"/185lbs] but i can one-hand it at just
about
any road speed.  perhaps i'm just the right size to have good
leverage
on the wheel...  it's a delight that few corners call for more
than
1/4 turn of the wheel, meaning i don't have to move my hand[s].
i don't recall what the alignment specs are right now, but i've
had +1
deg. with good results.  i have polyurethane bushings on the
strut
rods only.

i don't know if it's me or the car, but there's a couple of
corners i
take regularly that i can do a lot faster and crisper than most
folks
that hog my bumper.  i can tell how cheesed off they are by how
fast
they race to tailgate me again.

did i mention i try to not use my brakes?  that's got to cheese
them
off too, when they find out i'm going to take the corner faster
than
they're prepared to, and experience the 'oh ****' moment...  i
haven't
seen anyone actually go off the road but i've seen more than a
few
seriously cut corners behind me.

btw the rest of my drivetrain is a stock 199 with hei ign backed
by a
t14 and stock 3.08 axle.  i need to recurve the dist but haven't
gotten around to it yet.