Re: [Amc-list] early american front suspension

On Saturday 08 September 2007 14:40:04 Frank Swygert wrote:

> There really isn't much to it, as you found out! The lower trunnion doesn't
> even have to be centered exactly -- it moves slightly forward and back as
> the suspension goes up and down anyway. When you're used to a specific way
> to put things together, the early American suspension does seem to defy
> logic. But then that's the simple beauty of it -- just slap it together and
> it works! No exact assembly required, if it goes together it will stay
> together and operate as designed! I agree, there's a beauty in simplicity.

I dunno -- I think it was a bear to assemble. I thought the upper trunnion was
goin to be a problem -- but that went together very easily (once I got all
the frozen junk out etc). The new greasing system works great -- I can full
flow lube to the back of the bolt.

The lower arm -- and to a lesser extent the upper -- is very difficult to
assemble such that the trunnion isn't bound up. The inner bushing to bushing
spacing has to be within 1/32" of correct in order for the trunnion to not
bind. It's complicated by the fact you have to thread one nut that has tweo
different pitch threads, at the same time! For it to happen at all, you have
to loosen the shock spacer and guesstimate the extra gap that closes up as
you tighten the trunnion nut. I got one side perfect, but the other I'll need
to shim 1/32" at the shock spacers. PITA!

The one really good thing is you can do this all on the bench! Then just bolt
it into the car. Very nice.

> One thing I do advise -- tack weld those lower cap nuts to the arms. Just
> one big tack is enough, on the outside edge where it can be seen.

But they're not under any rotational force at all, if it's assembled right. By
some miracle, my lower arms and trunnions were clean and tight as new. No
damage, stripped threads or looseness.

> CARRY THE OLD LOWER TRUNNION WITH YOU!!

Still on the original set! (Unless it was replaced of course).

> regrease

This car will get greased annually or more!!! Lube, and the brief inspection
that occurs, will ward off a lot of problems. I do my cars annually, whether
2K or 30K. Lube is cheap insurance.