Re: [Amc-list] Suggested maximum long-term cruise RPM for 195.6OHV?

On Thursday 06 September 2007 15:09:38 d stohler wrote:

> heck no i dont have power steering. i put the
> wheels/tires on after i got home from iraq in nov.
> since then i have put about 3000-4000 miles on the
> car. i have gotten bigger chest and shoulder muscles
> from it. LOL going to the gym all year while in iraq
> didnt do this much good for my upper body. my
> co-workers think it is hilarious to watch me park. i
> always have to back into my parkin spot because i like
> to see where im pullin out to. but anyway, they thing
> its funny watchin me sit in one spot and "crank crank
> crank" on that wheel. i also have a smaller 13"
> steering wheel. not the stock big wheel. so that makes
> it even funner.

>>GROAN!!<<

13" wheel! Ouch! I had a 15" on there, masochistic, plus I couldn't see the
gauges. Finally swapped back the 3 foot boat wheel and I'm much happier :-)

> also. 0* for the old bias ply tires and i think they
> usually put what 3-5* caster now? i need to do that
> strut rod trick frank was talking about with the
> concorde or so adjustable strut rod so i can adjust
> it.

I'm gonna set the American up with a tiny bit of caster for the radials, but
try running the radials rock-hard to see if I can simulate bias ply a bit.
It's got the big steerin wheel also, and it's a lot lighter, steering was
pretty easy.

> otherwise, i love how it looks and rides. i HATE the
> huge tire, no sidewall look also. the 17's are bigger
> than what i really wanted, but i couldnt beat the
> price. and they fit. so next was finding a tire. i
> still have several inches of sidewall. it didnt really
> seem to stiffen the ride to much. i feel a little
> more, but not bad. i will never go any bigger than
> 17's however. but, with the mustang disk brakes i
> installed, my stock 15" wheels dont quite fit, 16's
> just might barely fit. so it all works out in the end
> however. enough that i am happy with the looks and
> performance.

Mark Rippe has a sweet 64 with 327, Brembo brakes and 17"s I think. I guess I
better go look at it!

> i do need however, stiffer shocks. still
> has on the original shocks. they are valved way to
> soft. i bet when i do change them, i will feel a LOT
> stiffer ride.

I am now one with the soft factory springing. I have KYBs on the back and
Monroes on front. I get it now. It goes places import cars can't look at. I
fly comfortably through bad crown road intersections they slow to a crawl
through. I can drive over curbs, float through pavement dips, and yell SPEED
BUMP! as I floor it over speed bumps. It handle's "OK", toss the wheel and it
leans, but it grips reasonably well for an old wagon. Even dirt roads, do not
daunt it. I would win street chases by scraping off fast cars on rough
surfaces!

Lower may be better at speed, but with a 75mph practical top end, tall is
cool!