[Amc-list] Suggested maximum long-term cruise RPM for 195.6OHV?

[Amc-list] Suggested maximum long-term cruise RPM for 195.6OHV?

snip
It sounds like you worked out a good combination! I
assume you have power
steering? My 63 Classic with 7" torque thrustd D's and
wide-ish tires runs
easy on the highway, but takes a fair amount of effort
to park. Not bad
enough to "fix" but enough to avoid in the future.
With power steering it
wouldn't be an issue.
snip

heck no i dont have power steering. i put the
wheels/tires on after i got home from iraq in nov.
since then i have put about 3000-4000 miles on the
car. i have gotten bigger chest and shoulder muscles
from it. LOL going to the gym all year while in iraq
didnt do this much good for my upper body. my
co-workers think it is hilarious to watch me park. i
always have to back into my parkin spot because i like
to see where im pullin out to. but anyway, they thing
its funny watchin me sit in one spot and "crank crank
crank" on that wheel. i also have a smaller 13"
steering wheel. not the stock big wheel. so that makes
it even funner.

as for the tire contact patch, the stock tires were
wearing on the inside a little. i didnt touch any of
the alignment stuff. the wide FLAT surface of the tire
seems to keep the weight even over the bearings. i had
spaced out my spindles when i did the brake setup. the
mustang centers are way out on the rim. on an 8" wide
rim, there is a LOT of rim hanging inside. i didnt
want to use one of them wheel "adapter" spacers on the
front for the reason of wearing on the bearings. i
spaced them out on the back of the spindle. i used the
wheel adapters (2.5") on the back side.

the streets around here are rutted real bad on some of
them. in those ones, it likes to try to pull one way
or the other. i think most of that is due to the
caster. it did it with the stock wheels and tires
also. 0* for the old bias ply tires and i think they
usually put what 3-5* caster now? i need to do that
strut rod trick frank was talking about with the
concorde or so adjustable strut rod so i can adjust
it.

otherwise, i love how it looks and rides. i HATE the
huge tire, no sidewall look also. the 17's are bigger
than what i really wanted, but i couldnt beat the
price. and they fit. so next was finding a tire. i
still have several inches of sidewall. it didnt really
seem to stiffen the ride to much. i feel a little
more, but not bad. i will never go any bigger than
17's however. but, with the mustang disk brakes i
installed, my stock 15" wheels dont quite fit, 16's
just might barely fit. so it all works out in the end
however. enough that i am happy with the looks and
performance. i do need however, stiffer shocks. still
has on the original shocks. they are valved way to
soft. i bet when i do change them, i will feel a LOT
stiffer ride.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules