Re: [Amc-list] Suggested maximum long-term cruise RPM for 195.6OHV?

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 21:03:27 d stohler wrote:
> tom j, are you trying to stay with the stock wheels im
> assuming??

Yeah, -- 100% personal taste, not a criticism of others taste! -- I don't like
low profile tires on old cars. I think it doesn't look right. I like it on
Japanese cars though. Also tires do shock-absorbing on our old stuff, and our
local tire expert shop says there's a lot of buyer's remorse on low-profile
tires on old cars -- harsh ride!

I just like 75 or 70 series tires. They seem right to me. YMMV!

It sounds like you worked out a good combination! I assume you have power
steering? My 63 Classic with 7" torque thrustd D's and wide-ish tires runs
easy on the highway, but takes a fair amount of effort to park. Not bad
enough to "fix" but enough to avoid in the future. With power steering it
wouldn't be an issue.

There's also the issue of keeping the center of the tire grip patch centered
on the steering knuckle centerline (there's some name fo rit but I forget)
that not only makes for easy steering, but minimizes eating up wheel
bearings. If you keep the overall diameter of the tire/wheel combo same as
stock this comes out in the wash. Sounds like you did that.

> i got real lucky when i went with my
> wheel/tire combo. i was expecting to have to change
> spedo gears or something for compensation. turns out,
> the tires i opted for are a mustang gt stock tire
> size. that being great as i have stock 2005 mustang
> bullet wheels. 17". the 245/45/17 are as close as i
> could ask for on the same hight/diamiter. i almost
> doubled my width however. the tread width itself went
> from 5" to 9.5" wide. cant fit any wider. and with my
> gps system, it says at 70mph i am only about 2 mph
> slower on my speedo.

> so i will NOT complain what so
> ever.

Never?! I complain all the time! :-)