Re: [Amc-list] Four piston brakes (was American Parts Depot)

Re: [Amc-list] Four piston brakes (was American Parts Depot)

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" The '79 Towncar was the first year of the stretchcar production (had I known
" this before parting out the one my buddy has, I may have done it
" differently) and only year of the huuuuge body style. It has (had)
" Hydroboost brakes (got a pic of it tonight) with multiple piston calipers (I
" meant to get a pic last week and forgot) and the rotors are huge with 5 on
" 5.5" pattern like a Ford 1/2 ton 4x4 and the rear drums looked to be @13" ID
" (I'll find out later when I pull the 9.1" rear axle)

that should be 9 3/8"...  right?

ford 1/2t have been 5x5.5" since the model a, barring some lightweight
attempts.

" and 3 1/2" wide or
" more. The car had the fold down bar in the back, opera windows and leather
" seats that could handle 6 Frank Cannons (you're showing your age if you know
" who I'm talking about!)
"    I had hoped it was the rear disc setup, but apparently even the gear
" ratios suck or the diff in it (4 link rear with tracbar and 4 small coils)

this isn't in the napa brake book...  it sounds like they used truck
running gear under this limo, which makes sense considering how much
it must weigh.  those brakes sound like f-250 parts, though even the
f350 has only 12" drums and they're all 8x6.5".

fullsize fords in the '70s and lincolns back to the '60s at least were
5x5" lugs.