Re: [Amc-list] brake drum cost vs. shipping

Re: [Amc-list] brake drum cost vs. shipping

Tom,

It's a good idea to at least check the fronts for run-out after
installation. The rears should be okay. If not, they were bad to start with.

Matt

Tom Jennings wrote:
> Just because Mark is on vacation doesn't mean we have to wait for him! Why's
> it so quiet in here?
>
> Need drums for 72 hornet rear, and drums for the front of the new American,
> putting on 9x2.5's.
>
> NAPA wants $72 each! Rockauto wants $36 and $58 each. Local brake shop wants
> $58 and $84. All for Raybestos brand (though brake shop says Wagner part has
> better metallurgy.) (And that Raybestos "R" suffix means they sample their
> assembly line every 5 minutes instead of 16 for quality control).
>
> Rockauto shipping: $85!! 4 drums heavy!! So much for savings!
>

> But -- I split into two orders:
>
> * 2 x 2501's, shipping $8.35
>
> * 2 x 2502R's, shipping $12
>
> problem solved.
>

> Does anyone here get NEW drums turned before installation? For two years I've
> regretted not having my brand-new front rotors turned before installation;
> they've got enough runout to feel in the pedal. Cheap aftermarket parts!

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon