[Amc-list] Rebel convertible trunk won't open

[Amc-list] Rebel convertible trunk won't open

Anyone have a good way to get into the trunk of a '67 Rebel Convertible
when the key-operated latch stops working? I had driven the car to pick
up a prescription, put it in the trunk, then when I got home the trunk
would not open! The key turns with no resistance, like the lock cylinder
has come loose from the latch mechanism. I got a replacement for the
prescription since I don't know how long it's going to take to get into
this thing. There are also tools and parts in there I need to get out.

Removing the rear seat back on this car does not get you into the trunk,
there's a full-width metal bulkhead there that the hydraulic pump for
the top mounts to. Might be able to go in through the top well lining,
but that looks like a pretty nasty job. Any ideers?

--
   Roger Blake
   rogblake@xxxxxxxxx