Re: [Amc-list] Oil to Use: It must be rated for 'Diesel'

Re: [Amc-list] Oil to Use: It must be rated for 'Diesel'

I don't know about the AMC motors, but several members
of the British clubs and motor builders of those
engines have seen cam failure with the new motor oils.

Cams have failed with less then 1000 miles. There are
notices posted for the Brit car people not to use the
low zinc oils.

--- Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 August 2007 05:39:18 Sandwich Maker
> wrote:
>
> > it's happened.  go over to strokers@yahoogroups
> and ask about cam
> > failures...
>
> > the recent flap was set off by muscle car owners
> and old car folks
> > like us who've been seeing premature cam lobe
> failures, ultimately
> > traced to low zddp levels in modern oils.
>
> I don't doubt that the zinc-lack mechanism for
> failure exists, but I have not
> heard of a single stock-or-close-to-stock motor
> taken off the road due to
> new-fangled oil ruining their old-fangled bearings.
> All seem to be 'built'
> motors.
>
> I just can't see extrapolating a old-car-scene-wide
> problem from this.
>
> Maybe you all mean all the ZDDP worries are FOR
> built motors, but so far no
> one's actually said that...
>
> > ultimately
> > traced to low zddp levels in modern oils.
>
> I'm curious, how was that determined? I know this is
> probably addressed in the
> other fora, but for the record, here... :-)

  Jim Williams
  Lewisburg, West Virginia