Re: [Amc-list] Gremlin 3spd to 4spd conversion questions

Re: [Amc-list] Gremlin 3spd to 4spd conversion questions

" -------------------------------------------------------
" Eddie I bought a 74 Gremlin V8 3 speed from a fellow in Dubery fl. He told
" me he bought a 4-speed, bell housing ect from you in the last year. Any
" chance you remember him if so what year did the 4 speed come out of? Will I
" need to change yoke and cut the drive shaft? WIll the transmision mount fit
" the 3 speed cross member? ANy help please, also do you have a parts list of
" other items you have? Terry Grow terrygrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
" _______________________________________________

imho the easiest way to do it is with a stock late '70s t150 3sp
setup.  iirc your '74 should still has the early '70s t14, so you need
everything from bellhousing to driveshaft, including  pilot bushing
and probably tranny crossmember.  but once you have all those parts,
a ford toploader 4sp drops right in.  if you already have a t150, this
choice is a no-brainer, just swap trannies.

alternatively, a late '70s / early '80s sr4/t4/t5 bellhousing with a
mustang 5.0 t5.  you need a chevy or possibly 4-cyl ford front bearing
retainer, and the t150 pilot bushing, clutch, and output yoke above.
it's possible the t150 driveshaft and crossmember will work.  throwout
bearing will depend on which retainer; ford would use a stock t150
part.