[Amc-list] Brake non-systems, was Re: Sunday drives

[Amc-list] Brake non-systems, was Re: Sunday drives

> Sandwich Maker wrote:

> > if you've got the amc15 rear, many ~'77-up - concord wagons most
> > commonly - had amc15s with 10" drums.  these are the same as the
> > '73-up std v8 brakes and were used up to '89 on cherokees and
> > wranglers.  substantially only the backing plates are different for
> > the different axles.

It's turning out to be nearly impossible to generalize what brakes are likely
to turn up on which cars. It's true that heavier models like 77 wagons got
bigger brakes, but sometimes the opposite is true -- the 1980 TSM states that
4-cylinder Concords got rear 10x1.75 brakes yet 6-cylinder Concords got
9x2's. It's not a typo.

All I can figure is that due to the lighter engine, front-rear weight transfer
issues means the rears are doing more work on the 4-cyl car. It may not
be 'figurable' post facto since we don't now know what the factory was tuning
for.

And three different front rotor diameters that year? Must mean there are three
different size caliper brackets or three different calipers. Weird.