Re: [Amc-list] Sunday drives

" From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
"
" <snip>
" > like i said earlier it runs and the clutch seems to work. so we just need to
" > be working on the stopping. i haven't looked closely at the brake lines but
" > it is safe to say it will need at least new lines, rebuild on the master
" > cylinder and a strong look at the drums and shoes. Basicly it wouldn't hurt
" > to look in to the conversion to disc brakes.
" </snip>
"
" Adam,
"
" Brake prices depend upon what you have. If you have Wagner drums (self
" adjusters have rods), parts are more expensive and harder to find then
" Bendix (self adjusters have cables) drums. The worst to find parts for
" are the Wagner drums used on the back of factory disc brake cars from
" the mid 60's. Cost will also depend a lot on condition of the drums. If
" they need replaced, they run anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on what
" you have. You can likely get shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware for
" $250 or so for all four wheels.
"
" I took a look at Advance's web site and they say you have 9" Wagner
" drums all around (they also have a bunch of Bendix parts mixed in which
" will not work). Those are more difficult to find parts for. Take a look
" at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/1967american/brakeordeal.shtml for some
" parts sources. One place I didn't put on that page is Kennedy American.
" I bought self-adjuster kits from them.

adan, if you're thinking of disks and it turns out that the rears need
a lot of r&r, it might pay to get the -entire- brake system from a
late amc.  it'd be more work but probably not nore money, and you'd
have better brakes with easier-to-find parts.

if you've got the amc15 rear, many ~'77-up - concord wagons most
commonly - had amc15s with 10" drums.  these are the same as the
'73-up std v8 brakes and were used up to '89 on cherokees and
wranglers.  substantially only the backing plates are different for
the different axles.