Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

On Friday 10 August 2007 05:04:05 Sandwich Maker wrote:

> you're convincing me...  but when my gf got her '01 cherokee last year
> i was surprised to see in the manual that they recomend 3k oil changes
> only for 'severe service' [subfreezing weather, short trips, etc].
> for 'normal' service the factory recommended change interval is -8000-
> miles!

I run Mobil1 10W-30 in all our cars, the Classic now for 10 years. At 250K
miles the oil stays yellow for 3000 miles. I've been really erratic about
change interval, usually 5K but vary from 3K to 7K, mostly due to indecision
and lack of facts and my mantra, 'oils cheaper than motors'. I ran 0W-15 or
0W-20 whateveritwas for a few changes, but chickened out and switched back.
It's a 232 with 9.5 compression, otherwise dead stock.

I think I'll switch to Bruce's 7500 interval.

My 63 Classic is propane-only. I've heard up to 16K miles per oil change for
LPG motors, but... I'd rather change it too often than not enough. Oil is
cheaper than motors.