Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

" From: "Bruce Hevner" <scramblr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Folks that say Syn lube is too expensive need to do the math. It's NOT.
" 100,000 miles, change oil & filter every 3k=33 oil changes. If you do your
" own changes @ 5qt & filter @ $15=$495
" 100,000 miles, change oil & filter every 7500=13 changes. If you do your
" own changes @ 5qt & filter@$30=$390
" Now if you run your dyno oil further say 6k that makes it cheaper at about
" $250, BUT you could run Syn lube to 9k (as I do) which would come out to
" $333, pretty close. So Syn lube CAN actually be cheaper or at least cost
" the same. It depends on several factors.

you're convincing me...  but when my gf got her '01 cherokee last year
i was surprised to see in the manual that they recomend 3k oil changes
only for 'severe service' [subfreezing weather, short trips, etc].
for 'normal' service the factory recommended change interval is -8000-
miles!

i think i'm gonna start pricing various mobil 1 formulations...  their
'racing 4t 10w40' is sg/cf rated.