Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic (brake conversion)

Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic (brake conversion)

I'd go to www.scarebird.com and order their brake conversion kit for Javelins. It will fit all models that came with drum brakes. The kit was designed to use the drum brake spindle and may need shims on the caliper to work with disc brake spindles -- may not work with disc spindles at all. The disc and drum spindle bases are different thicknesses. I believe the AMC disc spindles have a thicker base, don't have any to compare right now. I have a set of the Scarebird conversion mounts here, they look great and will fit your car. I test fit them on my spare suspension setup.

The Scarebird setup may cost a little more than a junkyard AMC setup, but it uses all new off the shelf parts. The AMC parts are getting harder to find and the rotors usually have to come from the warehouse (1-3 days order time). AMCs are also hard to find in junkyards any more, especially in areas like mine where there never were many even when new. If you go that route look for 79-83 Concords and Spirits. Earlier models use harder to find, more expensive parts (mainly the rotors -- rebuilt calipers are still easy to get and relatively low priced). Price rotors for any other model year before you get them. Even if you get a good set in the junkyard you'll need replacements later.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"