[Amc-list] 1963 Rambler Gas Tanks - Options -

[Amc-list] 1963 Rambler Gas Tanks - Options -

The 63 Classic tank is the same as 64-66. The tank changed in 67 with
the new body. 63-66 Classics all used the same tank with the exception
of the three seat wagon. It used a tank in the right rear quarter panel
to clear the floor for a foot well.

All 58-62 cars (and 63 American) used the same 20 gallon tank. I haven't
looked at one in a while -- Tom reports that it's 8-10" deep and
rectangular. The key part of his report is that it's asymmetrical -- the
same depth all around. That will make it easier to replace with one from
another car, the Chrysler New Yorker/Volare/etc. tank looks like a good
candidate and is cheap. The 63-66 Classic tank is around 7" deep in
front then the bottom slants up to about 3" deep in the rear. It's
difficult to find anything that's close. I didn't find anything I was
very comfortable with buying. A few Chevy tanks, such as a Nova wagon,
looked like they might work, but all the sites I found only give the
maximum depth. You can't tell how much one slants on the bottom from the
photos.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"