Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic (Tom Jennings)

Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic (Tom Jennings)

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Intake bolts in from the side, so I guess it's a 232 then. I put a
" rebuilt carb on it that I bought at Advanced Auto. Match mine
" perfectly, but their system said it was of a 65.

could be.  they used the same carbs for several years.

"  Should I expect my 232 to top out around 65?

not unless you have way-deep axle gears, like some sort of heavy
trailer towing package.  my american with 199 and 3.08 will do 90 or
so wound up tight, and even then it probably isn't even seeing 4000
rpm.  if you can't top 65 either your engine isn't developing full
power, your trans is slipping, or your brakes are dragging.