Re: [Amc-list] Re; 'Flexible Flyers'

> What you do with it is your decisions.
> You asked, this is my answer. And as the refrain goes I'm sticking to
> it.
> John.

John,

Once again the master blesses us with his knowledge. Damn I do not know what
I would have done without the guys on this list,
and John, you are one of the key guys.

Now that we know the nuances of AMC front end geometry, I really wish I knew
what to do to convert my car to Radial tire technology. My 70 "Flexible
Flyer" Javelin still has bias ply tires on it.

OK so I did put poly strut bushings in, but I don't use the car for a daily
driver, I don't bound over bumps at 30 mph., I take it easy over bumps or
avoid them altogether. I think the poly bushings will be just fine as long
as I don't DUKES of HAZARD the car. There is only about two to three inches
of jounce (compression) travel in my 70s front suspension, and about the
only time it could get maximum droop is when it's up in the air on a floor
jack. I usually raise the car from the ball joint end of the lower control
arm, I have always done this, one side at a time, or I wood block the upper
arm so the spring can't move the suspension to full droop (bad for the strut
rod with poly bushings). Heck if I didn't take all these little anal
precautions when working on the car, there's no way it would still be here.

Any way what should I do with my front end alignment when the new radial
tires and new wheels get here?? Leave it at the factory specs? Or introduce
more + or - ? caster.

What did AMC do when it went to radial tires? What are the 70 alignment
specs versus the 74 alignment specs for the 70 series AMC. Wasn't radial
technology fully on the market by 74?

Thanks again John for all of the help and advice you've given to all of us.

Oh, and if any of you other guys want to toss in your opinion feel free to
do so.

Armand