Re: [Amc-list] Re; 'Flexible Flyers'

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 11:21 -0700, John Elle wrote:

> (many words here... :-)
> You asked, this is my answer. And as the refrain goes I'm sticking to
> it.

I think you described that part 100% John! The only thing I'd disagree
with you about is "scary". In fact they're pretty damn reliable assuming
you do any maintenance. (OK maybe in the outside world that's not a
reasonable assumption.)

They fail nicely too. They get klunky enough to wake the dead and the
car to get wandery, but I've never heard of one falling all the way out,
which if it did, would certainly be from the inner end splitting off.
The strut would probably help restrain it.

Fail-safe design is quite an art -- to prevent deaths when people
willfully mistreat a product. Parts got designed and built then let out
into the world with absolutely no control over what all their idiot
customers did with it -- in this instance the steering portion of a 3000
lb. land missile with a potential bozo behind the wheel. Scary.

There is actual subtlety in there. Your point on the inner end bushing
being tight on one hole and loose on the other is a good example of the
subtlety and it's not well mentioned in the TSM.

Everyone's reasonably OK with subtlety in the innards of the engine but
it's not so well known in that rusty crap under the car! Exploding
engine parts rarely kill anybody.