Re: [Amc-list] Re; 'Flexible Flyers'

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 18:21 -0500, Armand Eshleman wrote:

> Now that we know the nuances of AMC front end geometry, I really wish I knew
> what to do to convert my car to Radial tire technology. My 70 "Flexible
> Flyer" Javelin still has bias ply tires on it.

Sounds like to got a case of flabby springs. Both our Hornets (70, 72)
and especially the 63 Classic, hell, they're practically SUVs with the
crap I can drive over.

If you've lowered it with short springs, you give up part of your travel
of course. Lowered with blocks in rear or dropped spindles in front
won't lose travel.

One thing to check is: in front, the ball joint should be parallel with
the inner bushing, parallel to the ground. If not, dead springs. Spring
coil lifters etc are worse than sagged springs, at 20+ years they just
go dead and need replacing.

New springs really liven up an old car! (Good bushings etc too.)

When I see those broad, flat speed bumps here in LA I yell "SPEED BUMP!"
and goose it. Fly over 'em at any speed, while all the import-scene kids
come to a slow crawl.

> Any way what should I do with my front end alignment when the new radial
> tires and new wheels get here?? Leave it at the factory specs? Or introduce
> more + or - ? caster.

YMMV -- but I run maximum negative camber (or -1 degree, whichever comes
first) and stock caster and toe, and just run radials. I'm not slaloming
or autocrossing, all cars seem fine with this. Even the ponderously slow
and tippy-seeming Rambler, with no front anti-roll bar (though it
doesn't really need one due to the nice Rambler spring-over-knuckle).