Re: [Amc-list] 64 classic 2 door clutch question

Re: [Amc-list] 64 classic 2 door clutch question

" From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" American Parts Depot shows the clutch cover assembly
" as being available.  That is AMC vendor and the store
" is located in Ohio.
" []
"
" --- The Brain Family <jbrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" > Anyway have the opportunity to buy a 64 Classic
" > 2door 6 cyl 3-speed. Guy tells me the clutch is
" > shot. I'm wondering...  will I be able to find a
" > clutch for this car? Where? and what should I expect
" > to pay for a clutch?

is this the 196 or 232?  t96 or t86?  [probably t96]

the t96 throwout bearing is afaik amc only but was used up to the mid
'70s.  the t86 bearing was used up to the mid '70s in jeeps.  the t96
disk is also amc only and apparently isn't available through 'normal'
channels, but the t86 disk has a very common 1 1/8" x 10 spline hub.

the 9 1/8" pressure plate wasn't special to amc and shouldn't be hard
to find.  mopar for one used it on slant sixes.  in addition they also
used a hd 10" pressure plate that fit the 9 1/8" bolt pattern and is
still available, though at partsamerica only as part of a clutch set,
and partsamerica also lists a 10" diaphragm type pressure plate that
fits the larger bolt circle on the 232 flywheel.  10" disks with 1
1/8" x 10 spline hubs are a common gm size, but any disk with a 15/16"
spline is difficult to find.  i'd still try for a 10" first [perfection
rcf448, for a correct but apparently discontinued p/n] just on the
principle that it'd last longer, meaning longer until you face the
aggro of finding clutch parts again.

i might add that i found these parts by searching on mid '70s vehicles
that i knew used them.  partsamerica's handy crossreference showed
many '60s apps, but explicit searching on '64 classic returned squat.
i have the feeling they're deleting '60s car pages.

i can also add that i had a 10" hd clutch [perfection c1647 and
rcf448] in my '66 american and the pedal wasn't any heavier than the
9 1/8" set.  throw was longer and initial adjustment was tricky
however.