Re: [Amc-list] 64 classic 2 door clutch question

Re: [Amc-list] 64 classic 2 door clutch question

" From: "Stu Fitchett" <amckiwi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" There are people out there who will custom build clutches as well
"
" Of course there is more than one part to a clutch
"
" In my 64 Classic I use a Toyota Dyna (small truck) Clutch Plate and a custom
" built Chev 12 inch? (to fit the outer holes in my fly wheel)Pressure plate

probably not 12".  afaik the '64-'71 six flywheel has 2 patterns on
it, the 9 1/8" with 5/16" bolts and the 10.5" with 3/8" bolts.

there are several small clutches that fit the small pattern, and mopar
has a 10" [still available] that they used ~'66-'80 at least on small
flywheel sixes and 273s.

the more common 10" and of course 10.5", and also '10.95"' [which
takes an 11" disk] fit the 10.5" pattern.  these last are common on
small-flywheel chevy v8s.  btw this flywheel has 153 teeth on the ring
gear, same as the pre-'72 amc six and i think gen1 v8.

'72-up sixes had a 12" pattern for 11" and 12" clutches, and iirc 12s
were used on jeeps.

" Of course this goes between my 232 & Toyota 5 speed

what size is the dyna plate?  10" ~= 254mm, 10.5" ~= 266mm, 11" ~=
279mm.  i know 250mm toyota disks exist.

" Took several goes to get the attaching bolts to stop hitting the bell
" housing and the pressure plate was also out of balance but it works
" beautifully now

interesting.  when i put the 10" clutch in my '66 everything cleared -
though i had to get a real 10" pressure plate.  the 10.5" borg and
beck style many brands subbed wouldn't clear the early bell, though a
10.5" diaphragm style might.  but the bolts were never the problem.