Re: [Amc-list] '61 Fuelie

A: Try putting $10K into an '84 J10 in an attempt to make it the "truck of the future" (probably take me another $10K to finish it the way I want with the hybrid electric/LPG)

From: "Clarence Milstead" <cmilstead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] '61 Fuelie
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

For being an AMC 'Ground-Breaker' running an AMC TURBO '6' - how
is it
you're showing up HERE of all places talkin' an 'Antique' '61
Chevie going
into a GREMLIN ?

That was a little out in left field. That engine would really
wind, right on
past the 6,200 redline. I figure the Gremlin and the 'Vette are
about the
same weight so the performance would be about the same. Only
problem is that
the 'Vette had 11:1 compression and needed 100 octane gas or it
would ping.
Yes, I've been working on my Gremlin ever since I bought it in
Dec '70.
Always trying to make it better in some way or other. I'm really
a 1950's
hot rodder at heart. First engine I worked on was a flat head
Ford. You must
have read the Turbo article. I did it all myself except for a
little help
with the mount. Runs great and with the 3.55 gears I had to add
traction
bars to keep it from twisting the springs. I may check into the
Atlanta
360's and stockpile one. However, the turbo runs great for now.
When I
mentioned the Chevy 350 in a Jeep I didn't mean to start a
firestorm, at
least it increased traffic on the board. I guess the 350 is
almost the
universal replacement motor in many vehicles. Interesting to
read the venom
from some people, I wonder how many of them have kept an AMC car
for 36
years? When I spent over $1K to rebuild the engine in what was
probably a
$500.00 car that was commitment. That's the point that most
AMC's go to the
bone yard. I bought the Gremlin because it was different and
it's really
different and rare today. Thanks for the comments.