[Amc-list] American front suspension

OK so I'm tentatively going with the Ambassador upper A-arm retrofit. I
believe I have a way to do the whole job in a sensible, easy and totally
safe manner. I even have three ways to fabricate the spring perch to fit
the ambo/classic upper trunnion.

It all depends on the trunnion assembly process; if it solves the
rubik's cube I'm doing it. I have all the parts I need to test it. I'm
taking the whole match of metal to the shop for acid bath dunking (and
pick up the gas tank that's been soaking) so I'll do mock-up on Thurs or
Friday.

I'll nick the arm halfs and take out the 1/4" each extra width by
de-Z-ing it that amount, weld it back up. That will be the only welding
required.

Why all the bother?

$365 per side for rebuilt used replacement parts is good enough reason.
These trunnion bolts are rust-welded enough to require tap
disintegration to remove; $150 or so per unit, so they're junk anyways.
If this doesn't work out, Doug Galvin gets a wad of my money and I drive
on stock parts. If it works out, we'll have a better way to keep
Ramblers on the road and I get to spend $700 on something a lot more fun
(like cramming 10" drums in front :-)

I'm going to sacrifice a pair of 64 Ambassador spring perches, but it's
only because I'm not confident I can cut the fine inside threads in a
chunk of metal stock on the school lathe.

The big car upper trunnion is 100% superior in all ways. Even badly
lubricated, they last 30 years.