Re: [Amc-list] Re; How 'bout a Chevy?

A: Don't know what planet has 700R4s that are more reliable than 727s (they
are about equal in stock form. The 700R4 is less reliable in truck
applications) but AW4s abound in AMC Jeeps (and used well past AMC being
devoured and ripped asunder by Mopar) and the "ancient" engine design used
still in '07 (last year of the 4.0L in Rubicons)
   The EFI system is pretty easy to swap over in '91 to '95 XJs (sadly it's
not the same one designed during AMC days but it is pretty functional) They
will bolt into the place of an OEM 4.2/258 or 232 motor '72 or newer without
much changes (unless it's a full size Jeep), mostly using factory available
parts.
   If the vehicle is just for racing, then it's just fine to toast another
Chubby block. My daily driver MJ is good enough that I can jump in right
now, cruise from WA west coast to WA right coast without thinking about it.
No different than trying to fit in another breed's drivetrain, but less work
and what we are familiar with that has a known track record of longevity.
What's wrong with that picture? 8^)

From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Re; How 'bout a Chevy?
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

That the thought of some using something other than an aprx. 20
year old
outdated engine in their personal car, has apparently raised the
ire of
normally rational people on this list.
As some people refer to them selves, I was different before it
was
fashionable to be different.
Thus when I look at my stable I see;
A 1970 Mark Donohue 390 cooking version w/ Isky/Edelbrock (air
gap)/Mustang T5 smog legal street machine.
A 1974 Hornet 304 Auto PS/PB/A/C Levi/X, Hatch back that will be
a 360
bolted to a 998 when done.
A 1976 Hornet 232/auto PS/A/C X Sportabout that when done will
join the
stable.
A 1980 AMX, Very Close to OEM manufactured, a show winner and a
driver w
a 258.
A 1980 Spirit with nothing stock, fuel injected 258/Isky,
compression
and parts galore. Also a show winner
and a driver.
All of above will run well and be smog legal in this state.
All "will" be show winners and drivers and will add to the
current 100
dash plaques and 50 some place awards I have.
Included is a spare rebuilt 232, a spare rebuilt 904 and a
builder 360
that lives on an engine stand.
And I done it myself

Rough Quote,
In my area, people don't put Chevy engines in other brand cars!
The current Issue of the Good Guys Gazette good deals shows 60
Chevy
engine cars for sale. 20 of them are Chevy's. Guess what the
other
brands are?
And this is typical
And for those with Rambler mentality on costs, you don't even
want to
guess at the prices. Try getting any of this with an AMC car. It
won't
happen!

Objective,
To build a fast reliable up to date street machine using a body
that I
like.
This objective will not be met with a 20 year old out dated
motor.
It will also not be met with a Borg Warner automatic
transmission which
did not have any record of reliability when they were new! Much
less
after 35 years of neglect and abuse.

A quick look through the local Craig's list shows about 7
possible
running Camero Donor cars with 700R4 transmissions. Some thing
that is
far better than any of the old BW or Torqueflite transmissions.
They will also have a SBC engine, running, not full of mud
dobbers,
water or desert dust. These will have ALL of the mounting
brackets for
accessories such as alternator, A/C, P/S plus all of the
appropriate
smog equipment, a starter, A tuned port injection system, a
computer to
run the engine and a 700R4 transmission that works, There will
be a
radiator, condenser and a bunch of misc. hardware along with the
wiring
harness (All GM and many aftermarket compatible).
Not only that but the fuel injection will work better than the
one I
have on my Spirit and the one that is in my Chrysler. It was not
until I
had purchased my Chrysler that I discovered why the Spirit runs
as poor
as it does, it is based on the Chrysler and it does not run so
hot
either. Any GM car I have owned ran better than
my Chrysler and Spirit do.
The costs of the RUNNING donor car will probably average out to
about
$1500 and will be worth every dime of it.
If I want something more there are small block Chevy engines
available
in any tune you want to pay for and turn key at that from under
$1000
with a 1 year warranty to prices pushing $15,000 that are show
case
pieces them selves;

http://www.smedingperformance.com/
or
http://www.southernperformancesystems.com/

The 700R4 transmission is a very capable transmission and it too
can be
had with a variety of options, as long as your budget can swing
it.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/

You can pays ur money and get ur products.
I't don't happen w/old AMC stuff.

In addition there are plenty of manufacturers of replacement
parts,
modified parts, misc. support parts such as motor mounts,
transmission
mounts and the list goes on.
There is no way that the average Joe can build a really nice AMC
car out
of the rejects that are left over after the portable crushers
have gone
around and made the wrecking yard boys happy at $200 a ton
lately.
Between rust, sun rot, neglect and abuse, what is left is just
not worth
the trouble unless you really want one and then be prepared to
pay the
price to get the body and interior back into any kind of decent
usable
shape.
I am not talking about another years worth of use as a back yard
beater,
but as an alternative to going out to a new car or used car lot
and
purchasing decent transportation.
So if I wish to add a small block Chebby powered AMC to my
collection of
automobiles, I really do not expect to hear the narrow minded
attitude
that prevails in some areas.
Keep in mind MY basic philosophy,
My Car!
My Money!
My Choice!
If you don't like my choice, Lump it.
I support you on any manner that you choose to practice this
hobby,
And to be perfectly honest, I don't really give a dam whether
you like
my decisions or not!
Face the facts, there are not many of these cars left and what
is left
is hardly worth the money to drag them out and deal with the
rust, abuse
and neglect.
Another rough quote
My AMC driver is not reliable enough to make the trip.
Response to that, all of my AMC cars can be driven cross country
turn
key at my whims and be show competitive when they arrive.  And
all of
the currently licensed ones have done that.
Now just out of curiosity does any one want to buy my Hornet
Hatch back.

$2500 will get it rolling with all of the parts.
Another $500 will get the 360 that goes with it.
Buy it now, it will be a lot more expensive when I am done with
it.
John